1. I explored the World eBook Fair Collection site and was impressed with the number of titles and variety of categories of free books available for downloading.
Categories of books vary in the site from Oceanographic Data to Children's Literature and CIA released documents!
2. I was impressed to read the philosphy and mission statement of Project Gutenburg. Mission is just "To encourage the creation and distribution of eBooks". Noted that there are 100 000 titles available from the Project Gutenberg site and through their partners and affiliates (28 000 directly downloadable from the PG site!
I checked out the most popular recent titles - many classics - such as The World Set Free, by HG Wells and Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen.
Interesting to note that nearly half a million downloads had occurred from the site in the last seven days.
I think it is great that some of the finest literature is being made more accessible to people across the world for free (providing you have an internet connection!).
3. Great to look at Yarra Plenty Regional Library's Overdrive Downloadable Media and see that downloadable books are available in a variety of formats, such as:
- MP3 Audiobooks
- WMA Audiobooks
- Music
- Videos
- Adobe eBooks
- Mobipocket eBooks
The Yarra Plenty Regional Library has Overdrive media available for people to use. Overdrive media includes audiobooks, music or videos. People who want to listen to and/or view books in these formats need to download the free Overdrive Media software first so their computer or handheld device can play the audiobooks, music or videos.
I found the clarity of the Digital Media Guided Tour on the YPRL site refreshing. The tour outlines the steps for downloading books in text, audio and video formats onto your home computer or transferring to a handheld device from their site using your library card!I love the fact that the Overdrive media has also allowed for people with access issues buy including compatibility to Jaws and other access promoting software.
All in all audiobooks and their increasing availability to the wider population are a wonderful step forward for increasing reading and knowledge in our world community.

No comments:
Post a Comment