Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mind maps and Flow charts

June 30
Mind Maps
I think that mind maps are extremely useful for people when trying to oganise the relationship between concepts. They are most helpful for group brainstorming sessions and individual demonstraions of concepts. Of course, it does depend on the person, but sometimes I find detailed mind maps overwhelming to look at if there is not a person there who can explain the process used to develop them. If there is, mind maps are a great way for grasping a quick visual understanding. I used Mindmeister for my mind maps. It was easy to use, the trial version was a bit lacking in tools, but that is an encouragement to purchase the more sophisticated versions.
Flowcharts
Flowcharts are better, I believe for displaying more specific information. For example, I used flowcharts in my other work to demonstrate the steps in a process, so that other people can learn it. I found Gliffy a very clear an easy tool for flowchart development.
Overall I recommend mind maps for people to develop more complex understandings of multiple relationships and flow charts for imparting clear and specific instructions to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment