Tuesday, June 30, 2009

RSS and newsreaders

RSS stands for “Really Simple Syndication”
An RSS feed is a file that has information useful for delivering regularly updated information over the web. RSS feeds began when popular blog services started building features on their software that automatically generated these xml. files containing the latest additions to a website's content.
Websites such as Bloglines, which I used to set up some RSS feeds of news websites are aggregators which let us view many feeds on one web page.

What do you like about RSS and newsreaders? It is the timesaving fuction I like the most. I can get an overview of the news headlines all over the world without clicking into different sites.
How do you think you might be able to use this technology in your work or personal life?
For work I can keep abreast of news around Victoria ready for when I visit to do audits or training in different towns. I can also keep up-to-date with my personal interestsusing the RSS feeds.
How might Vicnet use RSS or take advantage of this new technology?
Give each member of the Vicnet team a relevant topic to set up feeds on and ask for reports back at staff meetings or set up a wiki where all can update the topics.

Please note, I did look for the "Share" button to share my bloglines URL but could not find it on my bloglines page.

No comments:

Post a Comment